Thursday, July 10, 2008

Car Thieves Love 13-Year-Olds

Cars, that is. Who knew that a 1995 Honda would be “cet obscur objet du désir”. According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau:


...the '95 (Honda) Civic was followed by the '91 Honda Accord, the '89 Toyota Camry and the '97 Ford F-150 as the nation's most stolen cars in 2007. The top four on the list are unchanged from 2006. For the fourth year in a row, the '95 Civic has been in the top 10.


A Civic?! If this was a statistic compiled over the last several months, I could see it… maybe. I certainly would entertain buying a 2008 Civic, but a ’95, uh, not so much.


It turns out that older model Hondas and Toyotas are sought after by the hot wire and Slim Jim set because they’re reliable and plentiful. Lots are still on the road, making them a bigger target because the value of their spare parts.


Me, I go for even younger cars, like my 10-year-old Subaru.

No comments: